Mahatma Gandhi commonly known as “Mahatma” (meaning ‘Great Soul’) was the youngest child of his father’s fourth wife and was born in Porbandar, Gujarat, in northwest India, on 2nd October 1869, into a Hindu Modh family. He is an Indian lawyer, politician, social activist, and writer who became the leader of the nationalist movement against the British rule of India. His father was the Chief Minister of Porbandar and his mother’s religious devotion. As such, he came to be considered the father of his country. Gandhi is internationally esteemed for his doctrine of nonviolent protest (satyagraha) to achieve political and social progress.
Mahatma Gandhi Quotes is a compilation of life and teachings that have inspired many liberationists. It is a quote compilation that showed the true value of simple living and high thinking that made India an independent country without using any nuclear weapon, army, or malice – influence to anyone who wants to build a better world.
20 Famous Mahatma Gandhi Quotes
- You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
– If you are not happy about anything in your world or society, be willing to change it within yourself first. Don’t complain. Complaining won’t take you anywhere. Nothing will change unless you change.
- The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.
– It takes courage to forgive someone who has wronged you. Because we are often so caught up in our egos that forgiving seems like losing an egoistic battle. But sometimes you have to take the high road with forgiveness, both for the other person and for your own wellbeing.
- A coward is incapable of exhibiting love; it is the prerogative of the brave.
– Some people think being cold and unemotional is courage. But real courage comes from accepting and expressing your emotions. Love people, be compassionate, that gives them courage and that makes YOU stronger.
- Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
– Seize the moment, live without regrets, do what you have to do. Don’t postpone things for tomorrow, because tomorrow might not come. Be a lifelong learner, it’s never too late to learn something, there is always something new that can change your perspective on things, keep an open mind.
- Without action, you aren’t going anywhere.
– Everyone is able to contribute something great. But if you just sit back on your couch all day, you’re going to accomplish nothing. Among all famous Mahatma Gandhi quotes, this one is gold as it teaches us the value of a great work ethic.
- It is unwise to be too sure of one’s own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err.
– Be humble because life is about ups and downs, one day you’re up, the next day you could be down, who knows? Wisdom is good, but don’t be overconfident about it, you might be on the negative end one day, keep learning, keep getting sharp, don’t stop.
- Change yourself – you are in control.
– We often blame our circumstances for holding us back. But we always have the freedom to make a choice. Make a congruent decision and move forward; move past that barrier in your mind.
- The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
– An animal is a creation of nature and if you torture it or take advantage of it, you prove that you don’t respect creation. All life has equal value and you cannot decide if something else can live or die.
- The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.
– Your true value goes beyond you, you can only find it when you are serving others for the greater good, not for selfish reasons.
- I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.
– There are people who love to gossip, drink too much, are angry and anxious, and are too lazy to chase their goals. Don’t let these people infect your mind.
- There is a force in the universe, which, if we permit it, will flow through us and produce miraculous results.
– Anyone has the ability to do something amazing in their life, but it requires spirituality to come into play. We have to allow it and be worthy of it, you have to plant the seed and believe amazing things can happen.
- Nobody can hurt me without my permission.
– Let others hate you and talk behind your back. Their hate can’t affect you without your own consent. This is one of the best famous Mahatma Gandhi quotes ever.
- You can chain me, you can torture me, you can even destroy this body, but you will never imprison my mind
– The mind is the most powerful tool one can have, no one can take your freedom of thought. Persistence and resilience can take you to places you never thought of.
- Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
– Real creativity comes when people are free to make mistakes.
- The day the power of love overrules the love of power, the world will know peace.
– Love can override anything, while the obsession with power can destroy anything.
- It’s my conviction that nothing enduring can be built on violence.
– Fighting is a sign of weakness. Great minds know we are here to play our part, serve others, and leave. Life is short, so don’t feed your anger, because only you will burn.
- A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes.
– Our thoughts become words, words become actions, and actions make you or break you. So think the right thoughts and become the thing you want, it’s that simple.
- The future depends on what you do today.
– You create your own destiny. Be mindful of your actions.
- In doing something, do it with love or never do it at all.
– Put your heart into anything you do, because when love is involved nothing can’t stop, you go that extra step, the necessary extra step to make it. While, on the other hand, when love is not involved it’s easy to give up and don’t achieve anything.
- Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.
– Strength comes when you stand your ground in the face of massive adversity. The size of your biceps doesn’t matter. What really matters is the size of your will.
Inspiring Mahatma Gandhi Quotes
- “Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
- “The greatness of humanity is not in being human, but in being humane.”
- “In a gentle way, you can shake the world.”
- “Change yourself – you are in control.”
- “I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.”
- “The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.
- “Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.”
- “We need not wait to see what others do.”
- “A ‘No’ uttered from the deepest conviction is better than a ‘Yes’ merely uttered to please, or worse, to avoid trouble.”
- “The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.”
- “To call woman the weaker sex is a libel; it is man’s injustice to woman.”
- “Earth provides enough to satisfy every man’s needs, but not every man’s greed.”
- “Love is the strongest force the world possesses.”
- “Nonviolence is a weapon of the strong.”
- “A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes.”
One of the few Documentary Videos of Mahatma Gandhi
This documentary video shows how India was dogged by nationalism and religious conflict on its path to independence – and how these factors mark the country to this day.
Life-Changing Mahatma Gandhi Quotes
- “Victory claimed by violence is tantamount to defeat for it is momentary”
- “The law of Karma is inexorable and impossible to avoid. There is thus hardly any need for God to interfere. He laid down the law and, as it were, retired.”
- “All that appears and happens about and around us is uncertain, transient.”
- “But you can wake a man only if he is really asleep; no effort that you may make will produce any effect upon him if he is merely pretending to sleep.”
- “A clean confession, combined with a promise never to commit the sin again, when offered before one who has the right to receive it, is the purest type of repentance.”
- “Service of the poor has been my heart’s desire, and it has always thrown me amongst the poor and enabled me to identify myself with them.”
- “There are some things which are known only to oneself and one’s maker. These are clearly incommunicable.”
- “Do your allotted work but renounce its fruit—be detached and work—have no desire for reward and work.”
- “You civilized fellows are all cowards. Great men never look at a person’s exterior. They think of his heart.”
- “Facts mean truth, and once we adhere to truth, the law comes to our aid naturally.”
- “It has always been a mystery to me how men can feel honored by the humiliation of their fellow-beings.”
- “Remember that even truthfulness in the practice of the profession cannot cure it of the fundamental defect that vitiates it.”
- “Truth is by nature self-evident. As soon as you remove the cobwebs of ignorance that surround it, it shines clear.”
- “The righteous men who eat the residue of the sacrifice are freed from all sin, but the wicked who cook for themselves eat sin.”
- “Effort is within man’s control, not the fruit thereof.”
- “I look only at the good qualities of men. Not being faultless myself, I won’t presume to probe into the faults of others.”
- “The enemy is fear. We think it is hate, but it is fear.”
- “Our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world as in being able to remake ourselves.”
- “The moment there is suspicion about a person’s motives, everything he does becomes tainted.”
- “It dawned upon me that fasting could be made as powerful a weapon of indulgence as of restraint”
Mahatma Gandhi Quotes To Bring The Best Out Of You
- “It’s easy to stand in the crowd but it takes courage to stand alone.”
- “Service without humility is selfishness and egotism.”
- “My life is my message.”
- “Satisfaction lies in the effort, not in the attainment.”
- “Hate the sin, love the sinner.”
- “Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.”
- “Seek not greater wealth, but simpler pleasure; not higher fortune, but deeper felicity. “
- “Our greatest ability as humans is not to change the world, but to change ourselves.”
- “In doing something, do it with love or never do it at all.”
- “There is a sufficiency in the world for man’s need but not for man’s greed.”
- “What barrier is there that love cannot break?”
- “The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.”
- “Honest disagreement is often a good sign of progress.”
- “Gentleness, self-sacrifice, and generosity are the exclusive possession of no one race or religion.”
- “There is nothing that wastes the body like worry, and one who has any faith in God should be ashamed to worry about anything whatsoever.”
- “A ‘No’ uttered from deepest conviction is better and greater than a ‘Yes’ merely uttered to please, or what is worse, to avoid trouble.”
- “They cannot take away our self-respect if we do not give it to them.”
- “Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.”
- “Even if the paradise of material satisfaction, which they envisage as their final goal, were realized on earth, it would not bring mankind either contentment or peace.”
- “The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
- “You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.”
- “It is unwise to be too sure of one’s own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err.”
- “Nonviolence is a weapon of the strong.”
- “An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.”
- “We may never be strong enough to be entirely nonviolent in thought, word, and deed. But we must keep nonviolence as our goal and make strong progress towards it.”
- “Truth resides in every human heart, and one has to search for it there, and to be guided by truth as one sees it. But no one has a right to coerce others to act according to his own view of truth.”
Once in a thousand years, a few great people walk the face of the earth and leave their mark forever. They make such an impact on humanity which is almost immeasurable by human standards. Mahatma Gandhi was one of them. He made India an independent country without using any nuclear weapons, army, or malice.
You have reached the end of the road and I hope you, your friends, or family have enjoyed the life-changing quotes of Mahatma Gandhi that bring the best of us.